2.28.2012

Good morning, beautiful

The truth about truth
is it always lies
That’s what we have come to realize
If you only knew…
I will believe in you
but only if you want me to
Only if you want me, too

Truth be told
No need to stifle your soul
I love you so, so much
How do I feel this way
if, day after day
all we have is a crush?
Destined to pursue
what I can’t continue
I know how you feel
You want your reflection
to reflect perfection –
fake if it wasn’t so real
Self-test after self-test
has you feeling restless
I’m here to say you passed
No multiple-choice guess
when I can write an essay
on how you’re better than the rest

The truth about truth
is it always lies
That’s what we have come to realize
If you only knew…
I’ll believe in you
but only if you want me to
Only if you want me, too

You shy away from pain
I try to do the same
We’re more alike than you think
Relying on instincts
I don’t mean to be mean
when I pick my scene
We’ve been apart,
we’ve had to restart...
as some would say
"we have come along a long way"
Cliché
but day and night
you’re always on my mind
I invite you to stay
But, I’ve got a debt with doubt
“It will never work out”
Please, tell me otherwise
Good morning, beautiful
wake up and realize
Good morning, beautiful
I think it’s time we realized

The truth about truth
is it always lies
That’s what we have come to realize
If you only knew…
I will believe in you
but only if you want me to
Only if you want me, too


17 comments:

  1. Beautiful and it has a good completeness to it, a full-circle feeling. I really like the wrap up at the end.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The full-circle feeling was something I was striving for, so thank you. I'm glad you commented and look forward to reading more of your blog posts.

      Delete
  2. ..the repetition of the starting verse to the finale works really good for me when i read this piece... liked the easy flow of your thoughts..thanks for the poem!

    ~Kelvin

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I had never experimented with repetition before, so I'm glad it worked for you. Thank you for the read, Kelvin!

      Delete
  3. def a nice refrain and some nice word play as well...esp like those last two lines...well done

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Brian. Your compliments are highly regarded.

      Delete
  4. Hi Alex! liked your poem... I quite enjoyed the full-circle feel as well. very nice!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Anthony. It's nice to here from you.

      Delete
  5. Replies
    1. Yeah! It felt and sounded like a country song to me. I'm not the biggest country fan, though, so it was... unusual.

      Delete
  6. lovely sentiments.

    I nominating you for week 63 perfect poet award,

    visit me to see it.
    keep it up.

    ReplyDelete
  7. nice..i like the refrain a lot..def. has the feeling of a song..

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. dang nice...love your voice in this...strong..and i like hte chorus as well it is tight...

      these lines though...

      You want your reflection
      to reflect perfection –
      fake if it wasn’t so real.

      pow. like it

      Delete
  8. So proud to call you my dear friend.

    ReplyDelete
  9. You're the absolute best, Corrin.

    ReplyDelete