11.12.2014

Mainstream Mediocrity

This is a poem (rant) I wrote back in November. The headlines are a little outdated, but the message still remains the same. 

* * * * * * *

I used to be an aspiring journalist
until they taught me at the university that "if it bleeds, it leads."
Negativity above all else, are you kiddin' me?
I remember walking home from class after that & thinking to myself,
This isn't how I want to make my mark. 
I don't want to be a part of this.
So I jumped ship, changed my major,
& I'm sure glad I did.
I turn on the news these days & all I see is drama, trauma...
Obama this... Obama that...
The latest on the most recent ISIS attack ("better watch your back").
Ebola is an epidemic,
but there isn't an outbreak here in the United States.
Stop purposely spreading fear, CNN.
You're revealing your agenda again.
Let's be real, FOX News,
yours was never concealed.
NBC's lead story the other night was a teen's tweet,
you know, the kid who survived the school shooting last week.
Where's the privacy?
At least have the decency to let the victims grieve.
The more I see the more I believe 
that maybe there wouldn't be so many school shootings
if the media didn't make the shooters household names.
But then again, we are a society obsessed with celebrity.
You know how I know the media has lost its class?
The ESA successfully landed on the surface of the comet, 67P,
but that lost air time & took a back seat 
to Kim Kardashian's ass.
Freedom of the press? 
Please, more like power of the paparazzi. 
We all might as well watch TMZ.

42 comments:

  1. we do respect freedom of those media masters.
    while we enjoy our own voice here.

    amazing imagery.

    ReplyDelete
  2. God bless school kids and our everyday citizens.

    beautiful message.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Truth in your words but sadly that's what sales.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is great!

    "This isn't how I want to make my mark.
    I don't want to be a part of this."

    Same here.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Strong words and good thinking, but it is what it is.
    Wisdom wouldnt feel so good if stupid went away.
    Your thoughts and sentiments provide a balance (alongside those who share same) but both side of the coin is what makes the world go round.

    Well done!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. "Wisdom wouldn't feel so good if stupid went away." Haha very well said!

      Delete
  6. sometimes, being honest is not fruitful,
    we do know it, may not always being able to make decision on it.

    ReplyDelete
  7. news outlets are awesome roots of justice and information.

    powerful imagery.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They can be. But we must be selective.

      Delete
  8. at times, we do need to spread our wings a little bit.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Replies
    1. Thank you for reading my poem, Marissa.

      Delete
  10. you have spent time on this poem,
    which makes the mood very comprehensive.

    powerful entry.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Pat! Glad you could feel it.

      Delete
  11. i can see that you are up-to-date of the current events., nice. keep it up.,:)

    http://www.travelwithchamz.com/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I try to be! Awareness is important these days. Thanks for the comment.

      Delete